It is Sunday which means it is time for a new challenge and the Layering Love Stamp Set was perfect for this weeks Watercolor Sketch Challenge over at the Can You Case It? Challenge Blog! Come on over and check out this weeks Watercolor Sketch challenge as well as the Design Team submissions. The challenge starts today and ends on Friday, June 17th @ Noon PST.
Can You Case It?
Watercolor Sketch Challenge CYCI#124
I love the feel and look of Watercolor especially on handmade cards. This week with the Watercolor Sketch Challenge I decided to play with the Watercolor Smoosh Technique over a heat embossed sentiment from the Layering Love Stamp Set. It was so much fun! There are some great video tutorials out on YouTube but I hope to create my own video with my own twist explaining what worked for me along with what I did a little different. Playing with watercolor became one of my favorite activities back in college and is one of the key factors that would lead me to change my major in college along with adding an Art Minor. I didn’t discover how much I enjoyed Studio Art until I was a Junior… It was too late for me to do an Art Major without adding at least another year to my college experience and since I attended a private college I knew that wasn’t an option. Ultimately, I switched to an English Major since I met all the requirements while a Junior except for a couple of classes which opened the opportunity for me to really focus on doing an Art Minor.
Confession time… while I LOVED Studio Art I sucked at drawing! I really struggled with drawing BUT give me a paintbrush and suddenly I flourished. My art instructor still encouraged me to continue with Studio Art and learn that although I may not do that great with drawing, I could still bring my vision to life through painting and watercolor. My senior year was focused on playing with Watercolor and exploring various watercolor techniques.
Nearly 25 years later, I’ve now found the perfect combination of merging Watercolor into my life. I love that I can stamp an image then create a piece of art with watercolor. Stamping releases the stress of trying to create the base of the image since I already have so many choices… Stamping is AWESOME and knowing that I can also play with various Watercolor Techniques has just allowed me to merge two of my artistic loves. If you’ve never played with any Watercolor Techniques, I encourage you to explore the world of Watercolor and don’t be afraid to give it a try.
- You will need the following materials for the watercolor smoosh technique:
- Window Sheet cut down to a size around 6×6
- Silicone Craft Sheet
- Paper Towel
- Aqua Painter or Spritzer
- Watercolor Paper
- 3 or 4 Ink Pads (I used 3 – Watermelon Wonder, Peekaboo Peach, Calypso Coral)
- Heat Emboss the sentiment from the Layering Love Stamp Set onto the Watercolor Paper. Using the Mini Misti to repeatedly stamp the image helps the sentiment fully cover the paper.
- Sprinkle the sentiment with Clear Heat Embossing Powder before the Basic Black Ink Dries. Shake off the excess embossing powder then heat with the Heat Tool.
- On the Silicone Craft Sheet, take the lightest of the ink colors and smoosh just a little color onto the Silicone Craft Sheet. Spritz with water and swirl with your finger or spread with Aqua Painter.
- Take the Window Sheet while holding the edges and dip the curve into the ink then place onto the Watercolor Paper. Use your fingers to spread the ink then lift the Window Sheet off the watercolor paper.
- Repeat the Watercolor process with each color.
- After you have added all the colors, let the watercolor dry completely.
- You can add extra “water spots” by splashing or dripping water drops the dried watercolor. Let the water soak in for about 3 minutes then take a paper towel and blot the excess water off.
- Attach the card front to your background layer.
- I used the Botanical Builder Framelits to cut out flowers, sponged the center of the flowers then added them to the card front.
- Add Rhinestone Jewels as the finishing touch.
Here is this weeks Can You Case It? challenge featuring a Watercolor Sketch Challenge. If you are having a mental creative block, challenges are a great way to kickstart your creative juices. So, why not come on over to the Can You Case It? Challenge blog to create a card inspired by this weeks Watercolor Sketch and post to the blog!
To purchase the products used on this beautiful project, visit my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store by clicking HERE! For your convenience, I’ve also included a supply list at the end of this blog post – just click on any of the items to be taken directly to my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store to purchase the products used.
I also invite you to pin my creations to Pinterest and to share your thoughts or questions by leaving me a comment. I love hearing from all my readers – word of mouth is one of the greatest forms of flattery. Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest!
Sunny Stampin’ & Scrappin’!
Place an ORDER TODAY by clicking on the items shown in my Product Supply List!