I’m so excited to be one of the newest members of The Card Concept Design Team and today I’m sharing my first card featuring Spring Has Sprung with the Bike Ride Stamp Set! While our theme is Spring has Sprung… here in North Carolina nature is playing a cruel trick with the threat of snow. I’m still in shock. This is unheard of in the 10 years I’ve lived here. While I don’t mind the snow helping reduce the pollen floating around, I would love to see the actual arrival of spring. Spring really is my favorite season especially here in North Carolina!
Spring has Sprung with Bike Ride Stamp Set
The Card Concept Challenge #89
Here is the inspirational photo for The Card Concept Challenge #89 featuring a Spring Has Sprung Theme. As I was planning my card, I had a few ideas. I didn’t want to use flowers although that was my back up plan. And, there are still flowers on the card. The first thought I had when I saw the image was actually the Bike Ride Stamp Set featuring Yellow, Pool Party and Smoky Slate.
Your probably thinking… How the heck did she come up with using a bike on the card with this concept photo?
Well, looking at this photo, my imagination went wild. The bright background made me think of a beautiful, sunny day. Who want’s to be sitting at a desk on a beautiful Spring Day? The photo just evoked a feeling of riding a bike so the Bike Ride Stamp Set was perfect for this card.
Bike Ride Carefree Card
Here is my Bike Ride Carefree Card! The card features a “brick” wall I created using the Shimmery White Embossing Paste mixed with Smoky Slate Reinker. I’ve used soft colors to evoke the feel of a warm, spring day.
The bike is a soft, Pool Party with Smoky Slate and a cute little So Saffron Basket. I added a little bouquet of spring flowers to the basket. Washi Tape along the edge and the sentiment also help contribute to the overall feel of going outside to enjoy a spring day.
SunnyGirl Stampin’ Tips & More:
- I use Thick Whisper White Cardstock for the card base!
- The card front is Whisper White cardstock cut to 3 7/8″ x 4 7/8″. Next, I use the Envelope Punch Board to round two corners.
- Mix the Shimmery White Embossing Paste with 2 drops of Smoky Slate Reinker. Now, place the brick pattern from the Pattern Party Decorative Masks over your Whisper White base layer and apply embossing paste. Remove mask and set aside to dry.
- Next, I add Washi Tape along the upper left edge of the card front!
- Stamp the frame of the bike from the Bike Ride Stamp Set using Pool Party. Then add the seat, handle bars and peddle using Smoky Slate. The bike frame is die cut using the Build A Bike Framelits.
- The wheels were stamped next using Smoky Slate for the tire and spokes and I added the rim detail with the Pool Party. Die cut the wheels using the Build A Bike Framelits. Assemble the bike.
- Now, I die cut the basket out of So Saffron cardstock and attached it to the bike frame.
- The flowers are stamped using Old Olive, Powder Pink and Pool Party. Again, the flowers are die cut using the Build A Bike Framelits. Attach the bouquet behind the bike basket.
- Take a 1″ x 4″ strip of Vellum Cardstock and punch the fishtail end with the Banner Triple Punch.
- Adhere Vellum Cardstock to the back of the bike.
- Now, adhere the Silver Metallic Thread and Silver Mini Sequins to the back of the bike.
- Attach bike to the card layer overlapping the embossed portion. It’s OK if the bike goes over the edge of your layer.
- Using Pool Party, stamp your sentiment with the Thoughtful Banners Stamp Set.
- Finally, hand cut your sentiment in strips and attach to the card front layer. I like to layer the sentiments over the Washi Tape.
- To purchase products used today, visit my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store by clicking HERE! For your convenience, I’ve also included a supply list at the end of this blog post – just click on any of the items to be taken directly to my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store to purchase the products used. Don’t forget, if your order is less than $150.00 then make certain to use the monthly Hostess Code: XP9XGQAN
Project Supply List!
- Click on the products below to shop on-line specifically for that item.
Join the Crew! Become a member of the SUNNY CRAFTIN’ CREW today!
- TIME is RUNNING OUT! There is LESS than 2 weeks remaining to join… THIS is NOT a gimmick! There are NO strings attached. Join for the fun and be part of a wonderful, inspiring crafty community! Don’t like it, then just let it drop BUT you get to keep everything without any penalties.
- I would love 3 more people to join my awesome team!
- SO, HAVE you ever thought about being a demonstrator? Now is a GREAT time to become a crew member by joining the Sunny Craftin’ Crew. Here’s what you can get with your Starter Kit when you join during Sale-a-Bration:
- With your $99 Starter Kit, you get $125 of product (your choice) with FREE SHIPPING.
- During Sale-a-Bration, you earn 2 free stamp sets from the ANNUAL CATALOG (your choice) at any price. That’s a HUGE bonus!
- You’ll save 20% on everything you buy straight out of the gate (with an opportunity to save more).
- You have access to sneak peeks and early product releases.
- You get to be a part an incredible online community.
- Join Stampin’ Up! today and experience the fun!
- I would love to introduce you to my group! I love the CREW! This is an AMAZING opportunity for you to join or re-join. If you have questions, please email me. I’m happy to set up a call to chat with you about this amazing opportunity. Fill out the Contact Form Below or better yet, JOIN NOW!
- When you join my team you also help me out! I’m really trying to earn my FIRST incentive trip especially since this is the trip where every person in my family would be celebrating milestone birthdays! Mike and I will be celebrating the BIG 5 – OH (eek!) and Caleb would be celebrating a double-digit birthday as he turns 10 (double EEK)!
Sunny Stampin’ & Scrappin’!
I’m so excited about this adorable card featuring the adorable lion from A Little Wild Stamp Set! The lion features the Stampin’ Blends, along with many of my favorite Stampin’ Up! products.
This week over at the Paper Craft Crew we have a color challenge. Come on over and check out the Design Team submissions. The challenge starts today and ends on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 @ 1:00 PM EST.
A Little Wild About You Card
Paper Craft Crew Challenge #285
I can’t believe Easter is only 1 1/2 weeks! March is going to be gone in a flash and we’ll be into April. And, as we come to the close of March, the Paper Craft Crew has a Color Challenge that perfectly fits into the colors of Spring and Easter. Oh, Happy Spring by the way! I hope your first day of spring doesn’t involve snow.
This card features a unique use of the Beautiful Peacock Sale-A-Bration Stamp Set! If you look closely, I use it on the Whisper White card front layer. I stamped a background with the one feather that somewhat reminds me of Wheat waving in the air. Don’t you think it turned out really cute?
- I use Thick Whisper White cardstock. It’s my go-to card base!
- The card front base layer is So Saffron cut to 5 1/4″ x 4″.
- Cut a piece of Whisper White cardstock to 5″ x 3 3/4″.
- Now, stamp the “feather” stamp from Beautiful Peacock with So Saffron.
- Take a 1/2″ x 5″ strip of the Soft Sky colored Naturally Eclectic DSP and attach it to the Whisper White card front.
- Attach card front to the So Saffron card front base layer.
- Stamp the Lion from A Little Wild Stamp Set with Tuxedo Memento Black Ink.
- Next, use the Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie and Bronze Stampin’ Blends to color the Lion. The Lion’s Mane is a blend of Dark Pumpkin Pie, Bronze and Dark Daffodil Delight Stampin’ Blends.
- Die Cut the Lion using the Little Loves Framelits. Cut the back of the lion tag off.
- Stamp the banner using Birthday Banner Stamp Set with Wisteria Wonder Ink on Wisteria Wonder cardstock.
- Now, cut out the banner using the Bunch of Banners Framelits.
- Cut a circle from So Saffron cardstock with the Stitched Shape Framelits.
- On Whisper White cardstock, stamp the Wild About You sentiment with Tempting Turquoise Ink.
- Next, die cut the sentiment with the smallest circle from the Stitched Shape Framelits.
- Attach sentiment to the So Saffron Stitched Circle.
- In addition, add the lion to the Stitched Circles using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Add Gold Metallic Thread and Gold Mini Sequin Trim to the back of the So Saffron Stitched Circle.
- Attach the circles to the Wisteria Wonder Banner.
- Adhere the Banner with the lion to the card front.
- Finally, the perfect finishing touch is the addition of the Gold Metallic Enamel Shapes.
Paper Craft Crew Challenge
It’s time for a Color Challenge with the Paper Craft Crew! I think you are going to enjoy this color combo with the “official” arrival of Spring. I hope you’ll join the challenge. Make a project inspired by this weeks colors, post it to your blog or on any of your social media venues then add it to our InLinkz link provided on the Paper Craft Crew Challenge blog.
Now that I’ve built up the excitement, here is this weeks Card Sketch #285 with the Paper Craft Crew. For additional inspiration, go visit the Paper Craft Crew blog. So, go check out the Design Team Samples. I challenge you to create a card, scrapbook page or 3D project inspired by this weeks challenge.
- So, you know you want the adorable “A Little Wild Bundle! Go now… purchase the products used today by visiting my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store. Click HERE to order NOW! For your convenience, I’ve also included a supply list at the end of this blog post – just click on any of the items to be taken directly to my 24/7 Stampin’ Up! store to purchase the products used. Don’t forget, if your order is less than $150.00 then make certain to use the monthly Hostess Code: XP9XGQAN
Project Supply List!
- Click on the products below to shop on-line specifically for that item.
Sunny Stampin’ & Scrappin’!
The Scrapbook Sunday Blog Hop is back with a scrapbook sketch that features Generous White Space. Today’s page features a picture of myself with my son as we celebrate his first day of Second Grade! This page was so much fun to create. I love how white space helps to accent the photo. Do you struggle to use White Space on a scrapbook page? Today, I’ll help you realize how using White Space creates IMPACT on your scrapbook pages.
Reasons to use White Space for Dramatic Impact
Oh So Eclectic Scrapbook Page
What is White Space? On a scrapbook page, White Space is the area devoid of any embellishments, stamping, photos, journaling, and title. There are many reasons why you should use White Space on your scrapbook pages.
It helps to understand that space, itself, is your field of composition or the ground on which you formulate your scrapbook page. White Space is the inactive until it’s broken into with the placement of your elements to create form. As soon as this space is broken, you’ve altered the proportions of negative and positive space.
Sounds technical doesn’t it?
4 Key Reasons to Utilize White Space
When utilizing White Space, there are two terms you should be aware of the Positive and Negative space on a scrapbook page. The Positive Space of a scrapbook is where photos, embellishments, and substantial journaling will be used. Thus, the proportions are usually heave on “positive” space. A scrapbook page that is have on positive space will usually have a significant number of photos, embellishments, journaling and a title. The white space on this type of scrapbook page is primarily found in the margins and gutters. This is known as Passive White Space.
When you limit the number of photos, embellishments, journaling and title, you have more leeway to include “generous white space.” Utilizing generous Whit Space can help you create a certain mood and focus. By using Negative Space, you create a dramatic scrapbook page that can help you really focus on one or two photos.
1. Create Focus with Generous White Space!
By strategically placing your elements on a scrapbook page and utilizing generous white space, you can create focus. With only one or two photos and elements placed in such a way to create large spaces of white space, you can really make your photos stand out.
Using generous White Space is an excellent tool to draw attention to your photos. Do you really need to scrapbook ALL your photos that are very similar? Why not choose one or two of your best photos to focus on the story.
2. Create Drama by giving the eye a resting spot!
Using generous amounts of White Space keeps your pages clean. When I look at a scrapbook page with lots of White Space, I can easily focus on the main element. Talk about creating Drama? One photo with your elements and a little bit of journaling can really create a WOW reaction.
3. Create Tension and Interest with the use of generous White Space!
You can really use generous white space to depict emotion. Think about how you can place one photo to create tension. Break a rule! For instance, instead of having the photo with people facing in towards the center of the page, have them facing outwards especially if the photo is depicting more of a dramatic scene.
Use the subject of the one or two photos with limited embellishments and journaling to create tension. Also, white space doesn’t necessarily have to be “white.” You can use a black or colored background but just eliminated extra, unnecessary photos, embellishments and journaling.
4. Use Generous White Space to compliment a Photo!
Finally, some photos just naturally speak out as being perfect for utilizing generous amounts of white space. Maybe you have a photo depicting a snowy scene? These are photos that have “wide open” spaces that are just perfect for implementing the use of generous white space.
Think about how the use of generous white space can enhance your photo!
The Scrapbook Sunday March Sketch
How have I implemented the use of Generous White Space?
I chose to really focus on creating focus and drama with the use of the generous white space. There is only one photo to keep the page focused on the moment. Then, I clustered the embellishments around the photo while pulling colors from the photo into the elements that I used.
On my scrapbook page, I’ve especially utilized the sketch to keep the focus on the photo of myself with my new 2nd grader! Elements are also repeated on the page while maintaining plenty of white space. And, I also reprinted my photo to a smaller size. The photo is a 3″ x 5-1/2″ photo.
While I do have a significant amount of journaling, I printed the journaling on white cardstock. The journaling is also printed with the American Typewriter Font set at a small size. As I was planning my journaling, I did scale back on what I was originally going to journal because I plan to actually create a second similar page but with a photo of my husband with our son. With this in mind, I realized I could split the journaling between the two pages.
SunnyGirlScraps Tips and Tricks:
- Last month I used Black and White Photos with white space. The use of Black and White Photos with generous amounts of white space creates dramatic impact by showcasing the photo or photos. If you missed last months scrapbook page, click here for my Love Scrapbook Page.
- Texture… I’ve used gold embossing for visual effect and texture as a means to frame as well as put additional focus on the one photo.
- Splatters! Just a few splatters of ink can add the the use of generous white space. Using splatters can help define your white space without subtracting from the use of the white space.
Oh So Eclectic Scrapbook Page Details:
- I am using 12×12 Whisper White cardstock.
- Just a few splatters are added to the Whisper White cardstock by tapping the “barrel” of a spritzer against my hand. The splatters are Night of Navy.
- The strips in the background are Naturally Eclectic Designer Series Paper which coordinates with the Oh So Eclectic Product Suite.
- I attached the strips and journaling to the back of the photo which is matted with Whisper White Cardstock.
- Next, I used Stampin’ Dimensionals and attached the photo to the scrapbook page.
- The flowers are stamped using Berry Burst Classic Ink and the Oh So Eclectic Stamp Set.
- I stamped the leaves with Lemon Lime Twist.
- I then stamped the outline of the flowers and leaves with versamark then heat embossed with Gold Embossing powder.
- At this point, I die cut the elements using the Eclectic Layers Thinlits.
- Behind the flowers, I used the Swirly Scribbles Thinlits layered over a Layering Circle Framelit for the circular element of the sketch. This element is used twice; once as a key background element with the photo and a smaller element in the upper right corner of the scrapbook page.
- The “amazing” is die cut from Lemon Lime Twist cardstock using the Celebrate You thinlits three times. I layered the die cuts then heat embossed three times.
- Below the “amazing” die cut, I stamped the “YOU” with Night of Navy Classic Ink. For perfect placement, I used the Stamparatus.
- I used the Basics Pack 3 Washi Tape on the photo and upper right corner of the scrapbook page.
- The floral elements were placed and attached to help frame the photo (and hide a distracting element on the photo itself).
- Finally, I added the Glitter Enamel Dots to the page.
Continue On with the Blog Hop!
To continue on with the next blog for the Scrapbook Sunday Blog Hop, click on the link below under Pam Staples.
Facebook Live – Monday at 2 PM EST!
Check out my Facebook Live events that I hold EVERY Monday at 2 PM EST! During the Facebook Live, I’ll be creating a project, and sharing the details with you. To watch the Facebook Live, go to www.facebook.com/sunnygirlscraps
Place an order today! Stampin’ Up! offers quality products for all your Paper Crafting needs. Use the product links below to purchase any of the products used today. For orders that are less than $150.00, use the hostess code. For all orders over $150.00, do NOT use the hostess code so you can collect your own hostess rewards. Hostess code is: R3E3MPBN
During Sale-A-Bration, choose a FREE tier 1 item for every $50.00 you spend or spend $100.00 and choose a FREE tier 2 item.