Welcome back and let me just say that I’m STOKED about this Rainbow Watercolor Smoosh Technique Thank You card! So, it’s Sunday and you know what that means… I’m over at the Can You Case It? Challenge Blog for the Weekly Challenge! You are invited to check out this weeks FUN Rainbow Color Challenge as well as the Design Team submissions. The challenge starts today and ends on Friday, September 30th @ Noon PST.
Rainbow Watercolor Smoosh Technique Thank You Card
Rainbow Color Challenge CYCI#139
This card and challenge is so fun! The Watercolor Smoosh Technique is fairly easy and a great technique that doesn’t require a lot of experience. Do you love the Watercolor look? Are you intimidated by the thought of doing Watercolor on a card? Then I recommend giving the Watercolor Smoosh Technique a try.
I am working on a video tutorial for the Watercolor Smoosh Technique but it isn’t ready yet. An unplanned ear infection has disrupted my plans for this week. With Caleb’s birthday celebrations then not feeling well, I’ve not been nearly as productive in the craft room as I planned.
However, I’m not going to leave you totally in the dark when it comes to the Watercolor Smoosh Technique. This technique requires some very specific tools.
Here is the list of supplies I recommend to help get started:
- Watercolor Paper
- Silicone Craft Sheet (or equivalent)
- Stampin’ Spritzer (water spray bottle)
- Window Sheet cut to approx. a 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ sheet
- LOTS of Paper Towel… This technique can get messy!
- Water Based Ink Pad or Reinkers
Tips, Tricks & Techniques by SunnyGirlScraps:
- Smoosh ink from your ink pad or put several drops of ink onto the Silicone Craft Sheet.
- Lightly spritz the Watercolor Paper in the area where you want to place the ink. DO NOT completely wet the whole sheet.
- Here is where you can do the technique two different ways…
- You can either spritz the ink on the Silicone Craft Sheet with water, or
- Smoosh the Window Sheet into the ink on the Silicone Craft Sheet then spritz the Window Sheet with water.
- While bending the Window Sheet, carefully place the ink onto the Watercolor Paper where you’ve wet the paper and slowly “smoosh” the ink around. NOTE… You do NOT need a lot of ink on the window sheet.
- Have plenty of paper towel handy to soak up any excess water.
- Use a piece of paper towel to clean the window sheet and silicone craft sheet.
- Repeat each step with another color that is complimentary to the color you used. Keep the color circle in mind and that certain colors just do not mix well. The goal is to avoid a brown, ugly blob of ink.
I honestly hope that this written tutorial helps you get started. Honestly, the best way to learn is to jump in and play with the technique by trying different ways to do it until you find what works for you. The most important thing to keep in mind is to have fun and enjoy the mess as you create a masterpiece.
Can You Case It? Rainbow Color Challenge!
Here is this weeks Can You Case It? Rainbow Color Challenge. If you are having a mental creative block, challenges are a great way to kickstart your creative juices. Why not visit Can You Case It, create a card inspired by this weeks Color Sketch and post to the blog!
I also invite you to pin my creations to Pinterest and to share your thoughts or questions by leaving me a comment. I love hearing from all my readers – word of mouth is one of the greatest forms of flattery. Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest!
Sunny Stampin’ & Scrappin’!